Web 2.0 Audio Conferencing – An Essential Disaster Management Tool
The State of Louisiana relied virtually completely on audio conferencing for its catastrophe response communications in the course of the months after Hurricane Katrina. This circumstance in the course of the largest pure catastrophe within the historical past of the USA taught many essential classes. If we be taught these classes, then maybe we are able to reduce the struggling and lack of life in future disasters.
Convention calling all the time has been and should all the time be the go-to catastrophe voice communications device of alternative. The cellphone is essentially the most ubiquitous piece of communications know-how on the planet. No different sort of voice communications system can deal with massive numbers of individuals at one time. In an emergency scenario, these could also be individuals who do not know one another, however should come collectively for a typical goal: save lives and repair issues. Additional, audio conferencing programs are designed to deal with communications on totally different scales: from only a few folks to lots of and 1000’s of individuals without delay. What ought to a primary responder, political chief or involved citizen search for in choosing an audio conferencing supplier able to being there for them in a disaster? This is a brief guidelines:
- Examined in a Disaster? Has the supplier confirmed that its providers can deal with the worrying rigors of a disaster?
- Nodal Know-how? Your supplier wants a federated system, not a centralized one. This fashion, if one node of the community goes down, then one other node can choose up the site visitors in order that prospects can have the programs obtainable to them of their disaster. This was the issue in Louisiana. When the Bell South community was swamped, its restricted audio conferencing capabilities had been swamped as effectively.
- Name Now Know-how? Does the supplier allow leaders with Name Now know-how that provides them potential to pick out names from their name checklist and “blast dial” all of them concurrently from a cell gadget? In a disaster, you typically haven’t got the luxurious of time to schedule a convention name when persons are dying and seconds are treasured.
- Emergency Alerts with Audio Convention Path? Does your supplier can help you broadcast an alert with a reside recorded message from you that provides the recipients the choice to enter a follow-on (trailer) convention name so you possibly can reply questions and provides additional data?
- Recording and Posting On-line? Does your supplier can help you file a convention name on the fly after which robotically publish these recordings on-line, or let folks dial in to hearken to them later? Catastrophe response is unpredictable. First responders could also be referred to as upon at a second’s discover to rescue a household off a roof or from the rubble of their collapsed constructing. When this occurs these first responders can not name in to the nightly convention name to get standing updates. Recorded calls allow them to dial in and hearken to the experiences at their leisure, or hearken to the recordings on-line. This proved to be an important functionality throughout Hurricane Katrina. These recordings additionally memorialize the initiatives taken in the course of the disaster for post-crisis assessment.
- Professional Help? Does your supplier reply your questions competently and shortly on the primary name, or do you get handed round to new folks studying from a canned script each time you name in? Do your solutions come from operators in far off nations? This sort of help could also be acceptable for sure sorts of assist, however not for catastrophe administration when folks’s lives are on the road. Ask in case your supplier has expertise supporting catastrophe administration. If not, discover a new supplier.
The teachings from disasters dictate a brand new type of Net 2.0 convention calling functionality that empowers cell command facilities with Name Now options from cell phones. Telephones have been the go-to communications device of alternative in each main catastrophe lately. That’s unlikely to vary. To deal with disasters and emergencies, these cellphone programs have to be fused with knowledge programs. That’s what Net 2.0 audio conferencing is all about.
To be taught extra, Google “Net 2.0 audio conferencing”.
Copyright © 2011. Chief Cellphone® and Michael McKibben. All Rights Reserved.